January 14, 2015
The economic version to get to Machu Picchu: by bus you travel from Cusco through the jungle to AguasCalientes – stunning views and a short trek included!
Day 1: Bus to Hidroelectrica and Trekking to AguasCalientes
At approx. 7:30am in the morning you will be picked up at the hostel from your professional driver. In a mini van we start the nice, scenic ride to the Sacred Valley of the Incas. After a short break in Ollantaytambo, we will continue our ride up a long, winding road to Abra Malaga Pass on 4330m. We will make a short stop at the highest point and enjoy the stunning view on one of the most amazing landscapes Peru has to offer. Then we continue our ride descending into the thick jungle. Passing through different microclimates, you will see the landscape changing from majestic snow-capped peaks to the entrance of the high jungle. We will have a short rest at the small village of Santa Maria (1575m) and then continue to Santa Teresa, where you have lunch at a local restaurant. After lunch we continue to the train station Hidroeletrica. From there, you start your approx. 3 hours hike to AguasCalientes (optional you can take the train). With the mountain Machu Picchu in sight you follow the railway, walking under palm trees along the river, crossing bridges and being occasionally disturbed by the romantic signal of the trains passing by. Arriving in AguasCalientes the Supertramp staff will give you a warm welcome and you will have some time to relax after the long journey and take a relaxing dip in the hot springs of Aguas enjoy a hearty dinner at Palate Restaurant (burgers, sandwiches, salads and more) and have a briefingwith your guide who will be taking you to Machu Picchu the next day. You will go over the plan for the following day and be provided with your entrance and train tickets.
Day 2: Visiting Machu Picchu!
Today, Machu Picchu is waiting for you! You get up early in the morning to enjoy breakfast at 4:30am and then start walking up the steep Inca stairs for 1,5 hours towards Machu Picchu (optional you cantake the first bus up at 5:30am). You will meet your guide and the rest of the group at approx. 6:00am and take part in a comprehensive tour (approx. 2 hours) through the Inca city, showing you the most important attractions and places of interest. After the tour, you will have time to explore Machu Picchu on your own and do some optional short hikes or climb up Machu Picchu or Huayna Picchu Mountain (only available with 2nd night in AguasCalientes!). You have to return to AguasCalientes at 11:35am to start trekking back to Hidroelectricawhere your driver will be waiting for you with the van (leaves at 2pm). We’ll drive to Santa Teresa for a last short stop to get some snacks and water before heading back to Cusco. We return down the same road that brought us here and arrive in Cusco at approx. 10.00pm.
NOTE: We recommend staying an additional night in AguasCalientes, if you’re staying two nights you will be able to stay in Machu Picchu longer and have the option of doing Machu Picchu Mountain or Hauyna Picchu (previous reservation required).
- Information Briefing at your hostel before the tour
- Pick up at your hostel in Cusco
- Transport Cusco – Hidroelectrica incl. lunch in Santa Teresa
- Accommodation at Supertramp Hostel in AguasCalientes
- A tasty dinner at Palate Bistroin AguasCalientes (burgers, sandwiches, salads and more)
- Entrance ticket for Machu Picchu
- Guided tour in Machu Picchu (approx. 2 hours)
- Transport Hidroelectrica – Cusco
- Meals in AguasCalientes on day 2
- Water and snacks
- Personal expenses
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu mountain: US$ 10.00 (to be booked in advance!)
- Entrance to Machu Picchu mountain: US$ 6.00 (to be booked in advance!)
- Bus Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes:
• One way: US$ 12.00
• Round Trip: US$ 24.00
- Train ticket Hidroelectrica – AguasCalientes – Hidroelectrica: US$ 28.00 each way
- Additional night in AguasCalientes: US$ 10.00 per person
- Return by train (7:00pm) and transfer to Cusco: US$ 85.00 extra(arrival to Cusco at approx. 10:30pm)
- Return by train (9:50pm) and transfer to Cusco: US$ 75.00 extra (arrival to Cusco at approx. 1:30am)*